Dr. Karnav Panchal
Dr. Karnav Panchal
M.B.B.S. M.S. (Ortho) (Gold Medalist)
Fellow in primary and revision arthroplasty (Bombay Hospital, Mumbai)
Fellow in advanced arthroscopy and sports medicine (St. Mary’s Hospital, South Korea, Hinduja Hospital, Mumbai)
Dr. Karnav Panchal has been a bright student throughout his undergraduation and post-graduation days, bagging a couple of gold medals to his name. He has completed his M.S. (Orthopedics) from B. J. Medical College and Civil Hospital, Ahmedabad which is one of the most prestigious post-graduate teaching institutes in India.
He gained four years of rigorous experience at a high surgical output centre like Civil Hospital, Ahmedabad. He also successfully completed a six months fellowship at St. Mary’s Hospital (South Korea) to satiate his keen interest in sports injuries, arthroscopy and joint replacement surgeries. He learnt many advanced techniques in KNEE, SHOULDER, ELBOW, HIP, ANKLE ARTHROSCOPIES AND JOINT REPLACEMENT SURGERIES. During his stay in South Korea, he got to interact with some of the world’s most renowned surgeons Dr. Sung Jae Kim, Dr. Young Girl Rhee, Dr. Jin Young Park (South Korea), Dr. Minoru Yoneda, Dr. Eiji Itoi (Japan), Dr. J. P. Ianotti, Dr. Jaffery Abrahms, Dr. Flatow (USA). He has also gained experience in the above mentioned fields from various well-known hospitals like Breach Candy, Hinduja and Bombay Hospital, Mumbai.
Dr. Karnav’s deep interest in research is reflected by his active participation in various national and international conferences, where he has presented several oral papers. He is also invited as a faculty in many of the conferences to deliver a talk on the specialized subjects of sports injuries and joint replacement surgeries. He has many publications in various prestigious international journals like The American Journal of Sports Medicine, Journal of Arthroscopy, Journal of Arthroplasty, The Knee, Archives of Orthopedics and Trauma Surgery etc.
With his deep knowledge and surgical skills, Dr. Karnav Panchal has successfully completed more than 4000 surgeries in his speciality fields of arthroscopy, sports injuries and joint replacement surgeries. He is a director of “FREEDOM JOINT CARE CENTRE”, EPIC HOSPITAL, AHMEDABAD. Dr. Karnav Panchal is truly “COMMITTED TO HEALTHY JOINTS”.
- Meniscus injuries
- Ligament injuries (ACL, PCL, MCL, LCL)
- Cartilage related disorders
- Knee cap related problems (Recurrent patella dislocation)
- Stiff Knee
- Bent Knee
- Frozen Shoulder
- Recurrent Shoulder Dislocation
- Rotator Cuff Injuries/Tears
- Sports Injuries
SPORTS INJURIES RELATED TO THE HIP, ANKLE AND ELBOW JOINTS
PRIMARY AND COMPLEX PRIMARY KNEE, HIP, SHOULDER AND ELBOW REPLACEMENT SURGERIES
REVISION KNEE, HIP, SHOULDER, ELBOW REPLACEMENT SURGERIES
REVERSE TOTAL SHOULDER REPLACEMENT SURGERY
KNEE JOINT PRESERVATION SURGERIES
- Meniscus repair
- High Tibial Osteotomy
- Autologus Chondrocyte Implantation
Have performed more than 3000 knee, shoulder, elbow, ankle arthroscopies and knee, hip, shoulder, elbow joint replacement and revision joint replacement surgeries.
ACAEDEMICS AND SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENTS
- Stood 1st in school in 10th and 12th Board Examinations, held by Gujarat Education Board.
- Among top 10 students in all the undergraduate examinations held by Gujarat University.
- Gold Medalist in ANATOMY and PATHOLOGY.
- Stood 1st in college in the merit list for post-graduate entrance test.
- Presented a case on “Operated Anterior Screw Fixation For Traumatic C2 Vertebral Body Fracture “ at the Annual Conference of Gujarat Spine Association, 2010.
- Stood 2nd in Post-Graduate Orthopedic Quiz at State Level in 2010.
- Stood 5th in Post-Graduate Orthopedic Quiz at National Level in 2010 held At Jaipur at IOACON 2010 and represented Gujarat State at National Level.
- Presented a paper on “A SHORT TERM STUDY OF EFFECT OF INTRA-ARTICULAR CORTICOSTEROIDS IN PERIARTHRITIS SHOULDER” at the annual conference of Gujarat Orthopedic Association, GOACON 2012, Daman.
- Worked as a sub-investigator in OASIS (Osteo-Arthritis Synvisc One Injection Study), a national study conducted by GENZYME India under the Principal Investigator Dr. Nilesh J. Shah. (Arthroscopist & Sports Injury Specialist, Ahmedabad).
- Worked as an assistant investigator in “Multicentric study to assess the safety and efficacy of autologous cultured chondrocytes in patients with articular cartilage defects of knee” under the Principal Investigator Dr. Nilesh J. Shah. (Arthroscopist & Sports Injury Specialist, Ahmedabad)
- Participated in Ethics Committee approval, recruitment of patients, conduction of study visits, follow-up examinations and database entry.
- Presented a paper on “Anatomical study of the articular branch of the Lateral Pectoral Nerve to the shoulder joint” at the 22nd Spring Congress of Korean Shoulder and Elbow Society, held at Seoul on 28th March, 2014.
- Presented a paper on “Biceps Augmentation with transtendon suture bridge repair improves clinical and radiological outcomes in patients with high grade PASTA lesions” at the 22nd Spring Congress of Korean Shoulder and Elbow Society, held at Seoul on 29th March, 2014.
- Presented a paper on “45⁰ and 90⁰ medial row anchor insertion: Comparison of clinical and anatomical results of medium sized full thickness rotator cuff tears treated with arthroscopic double row fixation” at the Annual Korean Orthopedic Association conference held at Jeju island, on 18th April, 2014.
- Presented a paper on “Biceps Augmentation with transtendon suture bridge repair improves clinical and radiological outcomes in patients with high grade PASTA lesions” at the Annual Korean Orthopedic Association conference held at Jeju island, on 19th April, 2014.
- Delivered a presentation on “Frozen Shoulder” at a Shoulder Conclave organized at Polio Foundation, Ahmedabad on 24th July 2016.
- Delivered a presentation on “Acromio-clavicular Joint Injuries” at Hotel Hyatt Regency, Ahmedabad at a “Shoulder Symposium” organized by Ahmedabd Orthopedic Society on 18th September 2016.
- Presented my video surgical technique on “mini-open Rotator Cuff repair” at Hotel Hyatt Regency, Ahmedabad organized by Ahmedabad Orthopedic Society on 25th May 2017.
- Have trained a number of clinical fellows in the fields of arthroscopy, sports injuries and joint replacement surgeries.
- Have delivered various academic lectures in the above mentioned specialized fields in different national and international conferences.
PARTICIPATION IN CLINICAL RESEARCH WORK
Of Trial (I-IV)
|Role in the Trial||Year in which the trial was conducted|
|Osteoarthritis||Phase II||Principal Investigator||2019|
|Rheumatoid Arthritis||Phase III-b||Principal Investigator||2019|
|Rheumatoid Arthritis||PK||Principal Investigator||2019|
|Rheumatoid Arthritis||PK||Principal Investigator||2018|
|Osteoarthritis Knee||Phase IV||Co-Investigator||2010-11|
|Medium size full thickness femoral articular cartilage defect||Phase III||Co-Investigator||2010-11|
- South Korea – At St. Mary’s Hospital, Daejon in Nov, 2013 to Apr, 2014 under Prof. Jong Hun Ji for advance treatment in knee and shoulder related sports injuries and arthroscopy surgeries.
- Mumbai – Hinduja Hospital and Bombay Hospital
- Indian Society of Hip and Knee Surgeons (ISHKS)
- Indian Arthroscopy Society (IAS)
- Indian Orthopedic Association (IOA)
- Indian Medical Association (IMA)
- Arthroscopy and Sports Medicine Association of Gujarat (ASMAG)
- Gujarat Orthopedic Association (GOA)
- North Gujarat Orthopedic Association (NGOS)
- Ahmedabad Orthopedic Society (AOS)
AREAS OF INTEREST
- Sports injuries and arthroscopy, cartilage repair and regeneration, stem cells, and complex traumatic multi-ligament injuries, Reverse total shoulder replacement, complex primary and revision joint replacement surgeries.